Whether it’s in our backyard or in a remote location, Westwood delivers superior electrical and instrumentation services to the mining and potash industry.
With extensive experience on both above and below-ground projects, we understand the unique risks and nuances of mining projects. We have underground-certified supervisors committed to your project’s success.
Westwood promises and delivers safety, cost, quality and schedule excellence.
Westwood mining & potash project capabilities include:
Debeers Mine Power Crusher & Conveyor
Westwood was awarded the DeBeers Underground Diamond Mine Project. After months of preparation, Westwood mobilized to the remote Snap Lake site 220 km northeast of Yellowknife, North West Territories, Canada. DeBeers Snap Lake is Canada’s first completely underground diamond mine. The approximate capital cost for the entire project is $975 million.
Westwood was contracted to complete the electrical installation for the underground mine electrical rooms, power distribution, crushing chamber, mine de-watering, lighting, ventilation and conveyors as follows;
- Install underground electrical equipment and distribution:
- 15kV switchgear
- 15kV fused disconnect switches
- 15kV junction boxes
- 13.8kV - 4.16kV unit substation
- 13.8kV - 600V unit substation
- 4160V motor control center
- 600V motor control center
- 4160V soft starts & VFD’s
- Install of cable tray and messenger cable required to complete the placement of any cable
- Install of power cable, control cable, communication cable, leaky feeder cable, and blasting cable
- Install of grounding conductors and system to underground power distribution system and connect to plant wide grounding network
- Install lighting system in electrical substation rooms, crusher chamber, conveyor take-up station, dewatering pump room, mine fresh air system and fuel storage area
- Install PLC remote I/O system for primary crusher, dewatering, conveyor take-up, truck dump, mine fresh air system and underground fuel storage
- Fiber Optic communication system to all electrical equipment for underground
- Installation and construction of power distribution system underground which involve:
- Crushing and conveying
- Mine ventilation
- Mine dewatering
- Instrumentation and controls
- Power distribution
- Underground fuel bay
- Refuge stations
- Explosives area
Diavik Diamond Mine Generator Gallery
Westwood undertook a project on the Diavik Diamond Mines site near Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada. The scope of the project consists of the installation of two (2) Finning 3.3MW diesel generators and all associated electrical controls, complete building services for a building that will eventually have a total of six (6) Finning generators for a total of 24.2 MW, install parallel bus tie feeders to existing powerhouse and complete tie-ins, install 15kV switchgear, power transformer, 600V PDC and MCC's, DCS and Finning engine control panels, install all required cable tray, complete required instrumentation, tubing calibration and cabling.
Once this project was completed, Westwood was awarded numerous additional projects on this site.
Glencore EPCM Bell Mine Water Treatment Plant
Westwood was contracted to supply and install electrical, instrumentation, automation and telecommunication work at the Bell Mine Water Treatment Plant in Granisle BC. This project consisted of:
- Installation of EHT
- Installation of medium voltage overhead distribution cabling and poles
- Underground 25kV cable installation
- Installation of medium 25kV to 600V transformers and emergency generator
- MCC installation and testing
- Instrumentation installs
- Cable and tray
- Installation of light and receptacles
- Equipment grounding and bonding
- Telecommunications networking install
- Local motor control station installation
- Design, supply, installation and connection of lightning protection systems
- Design, supply, installation and connection of fire alarm
- Design, supply, installation and connection of detection system
- Design, supply, installation and connection of electrical and control rooms
- Commissioning and start-up of HVAC
- Commissioning and start-up fire alarm
- Commissioning and start-up telecommunication Commissioning and start-up electrical systems
Mosaic Belle Plaine Compactor #2
Westwood undertook the new construction of the Belle Plaine Compactor #2. The scope of work consisted of installation of the 5KV switchgear, installation of all 600V switchgear, cable tray, lighting, instrumentation, controls and terminations and stage 1 commissioning to start up.
Mosaic Belle Plaine Power Upgrade
Westwood was contracted by Mosaic for the power upgrade in Belle Plaine. This project consisted of 2 areas:
The first area was the 138kV Substation Yard & GIS Building which included all substation building electrical including lighting, control, HVAC, fire alarm, battery system, and distribution equipment. The scope also included the installation of the 138kV motor operated switch and aerial cabling to the GIS bushings, as well as the installation and field wiring of P&C panels and PLC panel.
The second area was the 13.8kV Switchgear & Reactors which included the installation of 15kV feeders from secondary of T2 to new 15kV switchgear as well as the installation of new switchgear, Reactor #2, cable tray, 15kV splice point, PLC cabinet, and the connection of all required power and control cables.
Mosaic Colonsay 50D - Electrical & Instrumentation
Westwood was contracted to supply and install electrical systems for upgraded building services and new production equipment for Mosaic Potash Corp in Colonsay
Mosaic Colonsay CE680 Electrical & Instrumentation Installation Buildings 94A, 94B, 94C
Westwood undertook the installation of:
- 230kV equipment and line work; consisting of eight total sections 230kV and 25kV GIS switchgear including all required structural steel, torqueing and interconnecting control cabling
- Two 70MVA 230kV / 25kV power transformers
- All substation buildings electrical and instrumentation including:
- Building services including lighting, service & welding receptacles, fire alarm, and male-up air
- Cable trays
- Power, control, and instrumentation cabling
- Installation of Protection and Control cabinets Generator equipment
Mosaic Far Field Brine Injection Project
Westwood performed the new construction of the Esterhazy remote brine pumphouse and well heads. The scope of work included:
- Installation of 15kV and 600V switchgear in remote brine injection pump house
- Install 13km of cable to the high pressure injection well heads
- Install 5km’s of 15kV cable to booster pump house
- Install 15kV – 5kV transformers
- All building services
- Substation grounding
- Install and wire PLC’s
- 15kV in-line cable splices Test all 15kV cables and terminations
Mosaic K2 CE301 Building 733
Westwood was contracted to supply and install grounding, cable trays, motor and control cables, and heat trace for the Esterhazy K2 mine. Also included in the scope was the installation of the motor control and other demolition equipment, Supply, install and connect instrumentation for compaction circuit No. 4 in 773 building
Mosaic K2 New Control Room
Westwood was contracted to supply and install new power distribution and networking equipment to a new control room and dismantle the old existing control room. Supply and install two circuit breakers in an MCC, 45kVA 600-208/120 volt transformer, 10kVA UPS with Manual and Bypass transfer switches. Supply and install one 208/120 volt distribution and one emergency panel. Supply and install the new operator console furniture and the owner supplied computers, printers, HMI/PC network cabinet, telephones and two way radio charging station.Supply and install the required cable trays and all required power, networking, fiber and copper patch cables to the control equipment.Supply,install and verify the fire alarm devices. Dismantle all control equipment and power no longer required in the old control room. This schedule only allowed for an eight hour shutdown to swing over the various networks and controls to the new control room.
PCS Allan Headframe & Hoist House Electrical Install & Removal
Westwood was contracted by Stantec to supply labour, supervision and materials for the completion of the electrical works at the Headframe & Hoist House at the PCS Allan Mine.
PCS Rocanville West Mine Expansion
Westwood was contracted by PCS to perform the Underground West Mine Expansion in Rocanville, SK. The multi-phase project included the following scope:
- 25kV and 15kV Surface to U/G Feeders.
- 25kV and 15kV Unit Substations.
- 25kV GIS Substation complete with cables and terminations.
- 15 Unit Substation Sleds.
- Various 4160V and 600V equipment.
- VLF testing.
All electrical and instrumentation for U/G equipment such as:
- 12 Mainline Conveyor belts.
- 4 Reclaim belts.
- Tripper belt.
- Ore Storage and Surge bins.
- Apron Feeders.
- Flop Gates.
- Loading Pocket and Skips.
- Shaft Signaling.
Headframe changeover from Service to Production. Scope included:
- Shaft Signaling.
- Dust Extraction/Dumping.
- Ore Handling.
- Mine Ventilation.
Various stages of this project were completed with 24 hr coverage and multiple shift types to meet project milestones. Pre-commissioning and start-up assistance were provided by Westwood.
PCS Scissors Creek Mine Head Frame
Westwood was contracted to supply and install the building services to the upper floors of the Scissors Creek head frame building, in advance of the installation of the Electrical Hoisting Equipment. This included the supply and installation of the vertical riser cable tray and 3c 500 MCM 1KV vertical riser TECK cable feeders to the owner supplied and Westwood installed five section 600 volt MCC 02. Supply and installation of cable trays at each of the equipment, deflection and sinking floors, collar floor and hoist floor. Supply, install, cable and connect the building services equipment such as welding outlets, lighting transformer and panel, lighting, receptacles, supply and exhaust air fans and unit heaters. Supply and install the lightning protection system and obstruction lighting to the roof of the Head Frame building.